Wednesday, September 8, 2010

9 Habits for Successfull Online Learning

There are 9 habits for successful online learning that I must incorporate into my learning process.
1. Get an early start.  I must use time management skills to make sure that I allow plenty of time to complete my assignments with an understanding that blocking more time than needed is a plus.
2. Organize. In order to be successful I must stay orgranized, this includes my notes, printed text, any online discussion information, etc.  Keeping all information organized will allow me to be able to find everything in a timely manner when needed again.
3. Plan.  Planning out a how, when, where, etc is key to success.  Having assignments on my calendar and time block to work on them will keep my plan of attack in order.  I have to remember that life is life, I have a son and another one on the way...things happen.  Allowing myself some extra time will ensure that I can complete all assigned tasks and have time for my family.
4. No Procrastination!!  I must stick to my plan.  If my time is blocked for reading than reading is what I need to be doing, not watching NCIS which is my favorite TV show.  I need to maintain control of my learning and not procratinating helps with this.
5. Stay in touch and ask for help.  By knowing who my resources are from my teacher to my advisor.  Also keep in touch with classmates.  If I need help any of these people should be able to help me.  Remember that no question is a "dumb" question, especially with online learning.  I do not have the ability to look at the teacher in the face and ask a question and get the non-verbal communication.  This can create a challenge if something is misunderstood so I will always ask questions.
6. Communicate clearly.   Communicate as clearly as possible in all writing.  If I find that I have trouble conveying the point I desire I can take advantage of the writing lab or get in touch with my professor for other options.  Most of all do not be afraid to ask for help with my writing since this is the only communication I will have between my class and the teacher.
7. Keep good records.  Keep copies of all assignments.  If something is lost or does not post correctly I will always have a back to email to the professor in case the online learning system goes down.  Also I will keep track of my grades so that I have a clear understanding of where I stand in a class.
8. Know your program of study.  Understanding my program and the requirements I must meet to graduate is vital.  I do not want to take courses that will only give me elective credit, or not be able to use a course I have taken.  Keeping up with my classes and the class requirements will allow me to be successful in completing the courses I need to graduate without extra expense on wasted classes.  Knowing who my advisor is and maintaining a relationship with her will be helpful as well.  Also some professors are great resources for future classes, knowing who taught me what and what their speciality is can be helpful with work in the future.  Teachers are one of my best assets as far as bouncing ideas around, or proofing a project, or a letter of recomindation for a job after graduation.
9. Believe in yourself.  Believing in myself will give me the confidence to be successful.  I must maintain that I understand and I am able to do this.  If I ever start to doubt myself my assignments and grades will suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment